Sunday, August 19, 2012

And so it Begins...



I have never been very good at keeping journals.  I am hoping I can change that.  The few times that I have bothered to jot down a few lines here and there have always proven to be pretty enlightening later on down the line when I happened to discover them.  It can be startling how quickly your frame of mind can change.  How darn fickle we can sometimes be.  Something that seems to so important right now may not even make us bat an eyelash tomorrow.  

So this is going to be where I will come to jot down my thoughts, my ideas, my fears and insecurities (there might be a lot of those--I sometimes have an abundance of those.  Maybe by doing this I may even be able to shed some of 'em.  I can always hope.), and also those things I am thankful for.

This is the first day of the rest of my life...quirky? Yep.  But also kind of cool, too.

And here we go...

Today is Sunday, August 19, 2012.  We've had a pretty full weekend and I'm feeling it.

We went over to my husband's cousins and his wife's house on Friday night for pizza and mojitos.  I love those people dearly.  The kind of people who really would give you the shirt off their backs.  Probably had a few too many mojitos because when I woke up on Saturday I had a bit of a headache but we still managed to head out for a day of river tubing later on.  

Michael got invited to go with his good friend's family hiking up at the Pinnacles for the day (glad he got to have some fun this last weekend of summer--he starts the 6th grade on Wednesday--where did the summer go to?) so it was just John & June (my husband's cousin and his wife) and my husband (Disco Guy) and I.  I think it was the smallest group we have ever gone with to the river but it was really awesome.  No kids, just the adults tubing down the river.  It was really a great day.  It was just hot enough outside and the water was just chilly enough to be refreshing. 

Afterwards we came back to G&C's house for homemade grilled cheese stuffed burgers (and yes, a few mojitos, too, but we kept it in moderation).

I paid for the tubing later last night when my fibro started acting up.  The tendons in my shoulders and arms were on fire.  I went to bed as soon as we got home.  This morning we were all tired but at least my arms and shoulders were back to normal.

Today Disco Guy and I made our weekly trip to Food for More for groceries.  I have been craving homemade soup lately (go figure with the temps being in the triple digits) so I picked up some ingredients for a sausage veggie soup recipe I found online that looks good.  I was going to make it this afternoon but I am wiped out.  Sitting down with a good book or a nice movie is sounding a whole lot better anyway.  

Right now I can hear Disco Guy and Michael and his buddy out in the pool playing.  It's a nice sound to have in the background.  

I am reading Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer about the story of Chris McCandless.  It is a pretty interesting read but sad, too.  I actually envy a lot this young man's (he died very young but if he had lived he would actually be 2 years older than me--44) ideals.  He really experienced life.  I know a lot of people were really angry with him for throwing his life away and for causing his parents so much pain and I do know that there were some things he seemed pretty messed up about, but at least he lived his ideals.  There aren't a lot of us that can say that.  So many of us get into life situations--jobs, relationships, etc.--that are not really what we want but we stick with it because we are told by society that this is what we are supposed to do.  We are supposed to get an education, get a job, get a house, live a respectable life.  Don't cause any disturbances.  I have probably passed the mid-point of my life by--I turned 42 years old just a week ago--and I see things a lot differently now than I used to.

Many, many years ago my high school sweetheart told me that he just wanted to be a surfer and live on the beach in a hut somewhere.  And at the time I remember feeling completely aghast.  I mean, he had been my boyfriend for the last 3 years and I was just certain that we were going to get married some day (um, ya sure) and how could I possibly marry him if he didn't go out and get a good job so we could get a big house and nice cars and raise a family.  I didn't know much but I did know that that stuff cost a lot of money. Long story, short, things didn't quite work out like I thought they would.

Now, that I sit here, knowing what I know now...ya, that hut on the beach doesn't look too bad.  Life is funny like that.

That book or movie is calling to me so I think I will wrap today's entry up.

So, how to end things?  I mean, I am writing this little bloggy thing mostly for myself but I do know that maybe one day, other's eyes might just land here for a bit.  So...maybe like this...

Wishing us well...until next time.




2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging. Thank you for joining me over at Living Life. I look forward to becoming better acquainted. I'll be back to visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by, Bonnie. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...they let me know that you stopped by for a visit and I get to return the favor!